Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

I KNOW THAT CHARACTER

A dear, longtime friend of mine was given an eReader for Christmas. The first ebook she bought was the book on Thomas Jefferson and the second my cozy mystery titled Scene Stealer.

I received a phone call.
FRIEND
I liked your book, I really enjoyed reading it and I know who the characters are.

ME
(Confused)
You do?

FRIEND
Sure. You’re Augusta Weidenmaier. You based the lead character on yourself.

ME
Uhh…no. Miss Weidenmaier is much older than me. I never taught children. She may be loosely, very loosely based on an old character actress I worked with.

FRIEND
C’mon. And what about the actor that does hand commercials? You had that fat tenor we worked with at the beach in mind, didn’t you? I could just see him. It has to be him.

ME
What fat tenor?

FRIEND
You know. What’s his name?

ME
I don’t remember what’s his name. Actually, part of him is a her, based on the ex wife of a dancer who did hand commercials and had her husband do the dishes. And the character is not fat and can’t sing a note and has extremely small feet just like a supervisor I once worked for.

FRIEND
Well don’t tell me I’m not Annalise. I could sing, I could tap and I certainly worked off-off Broadway.

ME
Oh, my God.

FRIEND
Don’t worry—I’m not going to sue you or anything. I like being in your book.
At that moment I thought of a teacher who told us not to worry about the meaning of what we write. “If people like what you write,” he said “they’ll tell you what it means.”


Bests,
Elise

Download hot ebooks from Carina PressAudiobooks at audible.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment